Deuces Wild Video Poker Strategies
Playing deuces wild gives the player even more opportunities than Jokers Wild because there’s a possibility to make your hand with four wild cards. Wild cards come in handy if you have an open ended straight, flush or if you need to make a 3 or 4 of a kind. A winning strategy for deuces wild will depend on how many, if any, deuces that you’re dealt during the first or second round of the hand.
On the off chance that you receive no deuces in your hand, all you should do is just discard cards that won’t help you achieve the best hand. Keep in mind that if you decide not to replace all of your cards, there’s no guarantee that you’ll receive a deuce, although the chances are high that you will. Rather than go through a complicated strategy card, we will lay the rules out for you.
- If you have 4 cards to make a royal flush, straight flush, flush, outer straight or inner straight, you should only discard the card(s) that won’t help you make your hand.
- 3 cards to make a Royal Flush, keep 3 and discard 2
- If you get a pair, keep the pair and discard the other 3 cards
- 3 cards to a straight or royal flush, only discard the 2 useless cards.
If you’re dealt one deuce with your other 4 cards, you have a few more options open to you. However, the chances are slim that your remaining 4 cards will make anything without replacing a few. If you’re dealt one deuce, you should keep the following cards:
- 4 of a Kind or higher
- 4 to make a Royal Flush
- Full house
- 4 to make a Straight Flush with 3 sequenced cards,
- 3 of a Kind, straight or flush
- other 4 to make a Straight Flush
- 3 to make a Royal Flush
- 3 to make a Straight Flush with 2 sequenced cards
- Only Deuce
Strategy becomes much easier if you’re dealt two deuces. Below are the simple and limited rules for what to do to get the best hand:
- If you have a royal or straight flush or five-of-a-kind, keep all 5 cards and discard nothing.
- If you’re dealt quads, 4 card straight on either end, or 4 card royal flush, hold 4 cards and discard 1.
- If all you hold is 2 deuces, hold them and discard everything else.
Three & Four Deuces
The strategy if you’re dealt three deuces gets even simpler;
- If you get a royal flush, hold 5 and discard none.
- If you get five of a kind, hold 5 and discard none.
- Three deuces, discard 2 remaining cards
If you are dealt four deuces, the strategy is simple; keep 4 and discard one in hopes for a better card. However, before you discard that fifth card, make sure it is a card that doesn’t make a hand with a grand payout.
Read more Video Poker Strategy